top of page

485 Extensions and Other Options

Updated: Aug 16, 2023

In this blog, we will be talking about the 485 visa extension available for select qualifications and what other options you have if you are not eligible for the 485 visa extension.

A new Legislative instrument that specifies the 'select' qualifications that entitle certain graduates to apply for an additional Subclass 485 visa with nil VAC has come into effect on July 1, 2023.

Applicants who have not received the additional two years' stay under the new extended stay policy may apply for another Temporary Graduate visa in the Post-Study Work stream at no cost, where they have graduated from an Australian higher education provider with specified qualifications that are in high demand.

These select degrees are across medicine, health care, engineering, and information technology and will be reviewed annually.

The two years will be calculated from the date that the visa held at the time of application was originally scheduled to cease.

This instrument provides 3264 specified qualifications across different Australian universities eligible for the extended stay provisions.

The extended stay for these 'select' qualification holders are:

  • from two years to four years for select bachelor's degrees

  • from three years to five years for select Master's degrees

  • from four years to six years for all Doctoral degrees.

If you are not eligible to apply for this extension, you may still consider a 408 Covid visa if your current visa expires in the next 90 days.

Another valid option could be to go on a Temporary skills shortage employer-sponsored visa Subclass 482 if you have an employer ready to sponsor you. Your occupation could be on the MLTSSL, STSOL, or ROL list. You must have at least two years of work experience, and this work experience does not have to be post-qualification. In most cases, a Skills assessment is not mandatory.

Option number 3 is for someone without occupation on the Main list, and then you can look at the 494 Regional Employer sponsored visa. You do need an Employer in a regional area, but this list has 650 occupations, and you have a good chance of finding your occupation there. Before considering this visa option, you will need three years of work experience in your nominated field, a positive skills assessment, and competent English.

If your current 485 visa is about to expire and you are looking for options to stay, please get in touch with us.

DISCLAIMER: The information shared by Nationwide Migration and Education on social media and blogs is for general informational purposes only. (The information is accurate at the time of publication but may be subject to change.) It is not legal or immigration advice and should not be relied upon as such.

If you need immigration advice specific to your circumstances, please book a consultation with our Registered Migration Agent.

45 views0 comments


bottom of page