top of page

491 Subsequent Entrant Visa: Everything you need to know (2024 Update)

This visa is for a member of the family unit of someone who holds a Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 491).

If you are someone who holds a 491 visa and has recently got married or been in a Defacto relationship, you may want to apply for a 491 Subsequent Entrant visa to bring your Spouse or Defacto partner to Australia.

At this stage, this visa can take 3 – 6 months to be granted. You must provide evidence of your partner's identity and relationship with you in your application.

Your partner will need to prove that they have a minimum of Functional English; if your spouse or De facto partner does not have Functional English, then they will have to pay a second instalment of $4890.

Decision-makers, when granting a visa, are required to take into account four pillars of a Relationship which are the financial aspects of the relationship, the nature of the household, the social aspects of the relationship, and the nature of the person's commitment to each other.

You will need to Provide:

  • identity documents and photos

  • character documents

  • as a marriage certificate, if applicable

  • documents about other relationships, if applicable

For a de facto relationship provide either:

  • evidence that your relationship is registered by an Australian State or Territory 

  • enough documents to prove you have been in a de facto relationship with your partner for at least 12 months before you apply

For both married and de facto applicants you must provide evidence that you are in a genuine and continuing relationship. Evidence can include but is not limited to:

  • joint bank account statements

  • billing accounts in joint names

  • joint leases or mortgages

  • documents that show your partner has lived at the same address as you

If you are someone who holds a 491 visa and has recently got married or is about to get married or is in a De-facto relationship please get in touch with us.


The information shared by Nationwide Migration and Education on social media and blogs is for general informational purposes only. (The information is accurate at the time of publication but may be subject to change.) It is not legal or immigration advice and should not be relied upon as such.

If you need immigration advice specific to your circumstances, please book a consultation with our Registered Migration Agent.

76 views0 comments


bottom of page